Mexico Reaches 717 Coronavirus Cases With 12 Deaths

Mexico Reaches 717 Coronavirus Cases With 12 Deaths

Infections rise in the country, Mexico despite not having mandatory quarantine has 717 cases of coronavirus

Mexico reported 132 new infections of COVID-19 in the last 24 hours to accumulate a total of 717 confirmed with 12 deaths, four more than the previous day, the country’s health authorities reported this Friday.

The number of coronavirus infections in the last 24 hours represents an increase of 22.5% compared to the 585 confirmed cases that were reported on March 26, according to the epidemiological report presented this day in the National Palace.

Christian Arturo Zaragoza Jiménez, director of Epidemiological Information, reported at a press conference that there are also 2,475 suspected cases of the disease.

It may interest you: The only place in the world where there is no coronavirus

Mexico reaches 717 cases of coronavirus with 12 deaths. Photo: EFE

Most of the deaths, 83%, are men; 89% of all cases are kept at home with outpatient treatment measures and the remaining 11% have required hospitalization, Zaragoza said.

Of the universe of hospitalized patients, 5% are in a serious condition, indicated the expert of the Mexican Government.

Regarding the allegations from various sectors that the Government could be hiding cases of COVID-19 and passing them off as atypical pneumonia, the health authorities pointed out that currently there has been no increase in patients with this disease.

"We have had an increase in disability due to respiratory infections of people but we do not have a higher occupation than that observed due to respiratory problems," said Víctor Hugo Borja Aburto, director of Medical Benefits of the Mexican Institute of Social Security (IMSS).

This day, the Secretary of Health of the Mexican state of Sonora and the National Guard began screening tests for COVID-19 for travelers entering Mexico through the border gate with Arizona, United States.

Mexico declared on March 23 the so-called Healthy Distance Day that will last until April 19 and during which the inhabitants are asked to stay in their homes to avoid crowds in order to slow down the spread of the coronavirus.

It may interest you: Mexicans want to close the border with the US Now it is the other way around!